© All Saints Church, Renhold, Bedford, England ©
All Saints’ Church, Renhold, Bedfordshire, England
Edmund Wayte Tomb and Coat of Arms
The tomb to Edmund Wayte and his wife, dated 1518, stood in its present position in 1853.
There are two brasses for Edmund and Agnes, his wife, plus two indents for one son and two daughters. There are also the letters EA and W, and the inscription “HIC IACENT EDMUNDEUS WAYTE GENEROSUS & AGNES UXOR EI’ QUORU PANIMAR PPICIET DEU A.D.” The three shields on the side of the tomb cannot now be identified. However, in 1868 a copy was made of the two then surviving shields; the middle shield had the Wayte Arms upon it and the far shield the letter “W”. There is also an inscription on the slab “Here lyeth Edmunde Wayte Gent & Agnes his wyfe which Edmunde dyed the xi day of August ano dni Mo Do xviiii of yor charite sei a pr nr and an ave.”
The Wayte Coat of Arms
The Return of Gentry in Bedfordshire in 1433 lists a Johannis Wayte of Renhold and in the Bedfordshire Taxation Subsidy Lists for 1309 -1332, a Hugone le Wayte of Ronhale, Bedfordshire is also mentioned. Both could be ancestors of Edmund